Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Week 10!

This week was the Arts Festival at the hospital.  It was an amazing day that took months to plan and lots of people to make it happen.  I’m so glad I got the experience of getting to be a part of it.  There was lots of patient art displayed and fun stuff to do, from arts and crafts to temporary tattoos to visiting bands to basketball games.  I got to spend the day playing music, listening to others share their musical talents, and connecting with people on a different level.  Having fun is so therapeutic in so many ways, and I got to know both staff and patients better through this experience.

One of the patients I’ve been working with is getting discharged soon and wants to record a song that she wrote in one of our sessions before she leaves – which is awesome, except that I feel like I’m fighting with the recording equipment we have.  I don’t claim to be tech savvy, necessarily, but I have rarely felt as technologically challenged as I have with this particular piece of equipment – every time I think I’ve figured it out, something new goes wrong! Recording is something I’d never really thought would be an issue for me, but it’s something I’m struggling to learn anyway.  At least I’m learning! I just feel like this has taken SO much more time than I thought it would.

I feel like a broken record saying that I’m getting the hang of the way things are going here because I tend to say or think it every week.  The thing is, I genuinely do feel like I get the hang of what I’m doing, and then I get new stuff to take care of and learn and get the hang of… it feels like I’m a snowball racing down a hill sometimes when I look back on it.  I can’t believe it’s been almost 3 months since I’ve been here.  

Last week, I talked about how I tend to focus on the negative aspects or the things I do wrong when reflecting on sessions.  My homework for supervision from this week was to think of 3 good things that happen throughout the week, or things I do well.  Stay tuned :) 

Hours completed: 426ish by Friday the 13th!    

No comments:

Post a Comment