Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Learning Curve

This week went by in a blur.  A beautiful, messy blur.  I feel like I'm finally figuring out how to express and implement the things I've learned.  I'm slowly finding myself less overwhelmed by situations.  Many of the experiences I had would have left me paralyzed with feelings of nervousness and incompetency, whether real or self-invented, if I had attempted them a few short weeks ago.  This week was challenging - but the good kind of challenge, the kind where you know you can handle it and you're prepared for it, with a steep learning curve you take in stride. 

I had the chance this week to solo-lead my first group, as well as my first group leading observation (as in, someone observed me and I got grades and feedback from it) which happened to be an observation of my first ever solo-lead.  Although I was nervous, the music therapist observing me was very kind and calming before I started, and altogether it went pretty well.  I received positive feedback as well as constructive criticism.  The group I led for that was a music therapy relaxation group, for which, fortunately, my university had prepared me well. I think this is one of the groups I could see myself writing or tweaking a program plan to lead. 

In addition to that group, I had a few other groups I led or co-led this week, and none were as nerve-wracking to lead as I had built them up in my head to be.  Even though my supervisor was gone, two of the other wonderful MT's that I have observed and learned from took me under their wings and went above the call of duty to make sure I had what I needed this week.  I am thankful for the safety net, encouragement, and support that the MT's and other staff have provided in the first few weeks of my internship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment