Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Oh, hey, I'm halfway!

Since I missed a post last week, you're lucking out and getting two in one day!

This past week I hit the 3 month mark and I am super close to the halfway point as far as hours go.  I had my midterm last week, which (as far as I could tell) went well.  There is a lot that I can see I've improved on, and a long way I have still to go. 

In the spirit of positivity, here are some things I think I've learned or improved on:
  • Confidence: Ever since I led my first ever music therapy group in my first practicum, I've been super nervous to lead groups.  I know I can do it, I'm just much more comfortable co-leading.  I'm not a very good authority figure. Since I've been here, this has been something I've been actively working on trying to change.  I've definitely seen improvements in my own ability to assert myself and gain authority over a group, and I attribute that to improving my confidence. 
  • Documentation: In school, they sporadically drilled into our heads how important documentation and clinical writing are. We talked about it and practiced it, but not consistently, and every place does documentation differently, so this was something I felt some trepidation about. However, I have received positive feedback about my documentation so far, and am feeling pretty comfortable with it.
  • Time Management: This is something that will be a life-long battle for me.  I am naturally a procrastinator.  However, I have improved on it greatly, and have done OK since I've been here.  I know I can continue to improve, but I think I've improved since I've been here - especially as I've had to juggle more and more responsibilities. 

Sometimes I think that six months for an internship is a SUPER LOOOONG TIME and that I don't know how they expect us to do this and and and........ and then other times, I don't feel like I'm at all ready to be 100% on my own and be a hardcore profesh music therapist yet, so then I'm like, oh good, I have three months left to figure this out.  I feel like this halfway point has come really quickly, and at the same time like I've been here for a long while.  I am not quite sure how to feel about it.  But I'm excited about the next 3ish months and look forward to what they bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment